Canby oregon member! - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Canby oregon member!

Just picked up a 2016 YFZ450r. Rode it for a weekend at Winchester Bay and decided stock was definitely not going to work. I am coming from a 52hp 05 YFZ, so this 40hp and serious bog was awful.

I ordered a monster exhaust fully ceramic coated, got an FCI off an 09+ bike so I could delete the AIS fully, and a vortex X10 ECU.

Got all three installed and am anxiously waiting for our next planned trip to the dunes in a couple of weeks.

Next step I will probably have the guys down at OCP port the head and throw an 08 intake cam on it.

One question I did have though was about paddles. This seems to be very high geared factory, its a little difficult to get it moving right off the bat and it seems 1st is almost too tall. That was on 20" Skat-Trak Extremes. I would like to go to AT LEAST a 21" paddle and possibly even a 22 if the bike can handle it.
Anyone have suggestions with stock sprockets and tire sizing?

Also going to need some wheels.... taking suggestions or pictures!

How about the difference between haulers and extremes? I've always had extremes and I haven't had any issues at all with the 05. I hope for the 16' to be similarly capable power wise to the 05 by early next year.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Sounds like you're on the right track with all the mods. Jeff at OCP does great work, porting the head and a better intake cam will make a big difference.

For Winchester and the Oregon dunes I really like the 21x12x8 6 paddle Extreme hauler. You could also easily run a 22" 7 paddle hauler.

I think stock gearing is fine especially once you have all the mods completed. For now you could try 14/39 for a little bit more low end.

09 YFZ450R: MMAD built
05 TRX450R soon to be OCP built

Last edited by diypunx; 10-05-2016 at 01:14 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I will step up to a 21" tall paddle with the current mods and may go to a 22 once the bike makes mid 50's power wise.

Any reason to go to a Hauler from an Extreme? Skat Trak lists them as 2 separate tires

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:22 PM

Extreme's will last longer with the tree roots and pavement at the coast
diypunx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MMAD, OCP, FCI, OI

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you are on the right path, Ordered some nice parts!

YFZ470 YMX1, MotoXperts, Grubbs Racing, GT Thunder, Rekluse, ARS-FX, AXIS, Fasstco.FWC, Houser, Hiper, LSR MXP,Quadtech, OMI, ODI, WC, FLY, Tireblocks, DID, Cycra, Streamlines, DP,CV4,IMS, GLANN, Webcams,ITP, Evans,Graphic WorX, Antigravity, Ockerman, RJR, Stoneconcepts, Precision, FCI

YFZ460 GT Thunder, Quadtech, Houser,Hiper,Fasstco
07 YFZ450 MAXRPM 502 SOLD
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Site Advertiser

Welcome to the site.

Todd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-(800)380-9646

Save 5% off $100 or more, use coupon code: yfzcentral

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Picked up a set of black rims and Skat Trak 21x12x8 Extreme haulers.... can't wait to mount them up on Friday!

Does anyone have any suggestions on tuning in the Vortex perfectly for the oregon coast?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 AM

We always just dyno our bikes at Oregon Coast powersports right there in Winchester bay. Best $100 bucks you can spend. Plus the owners are super cool. I always thought i was close on jetting or a map but them when it was put on the dyno they would pick up 3-4HP more.
kilroy and diypunx like this.

MMAD, OCP, FCI, OI

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjbuff View Post
We always just dyno our bikes at Oregon Coast powersports right there in Winchester bay. Best $100 bucks you can spend. Plus the owners are super cool. I always thought i was close on jetting or a map but them when it was put on the dyno they would pick up 3-4HP more.
Yeah I have a tentative appointment with them for Thursday the 20th to get it dyno'd, but if they doesnt work out I at least want to be close. I was reading the paperwork with the Vortex before reading much on the forums and have it set currently on level 4. Level 4 hasn't ever been mentioned by anyone with the big 3, all I hear is level 5 or level 9 and keep your adjustments at 5 or above until you can get to a dyno to make sure it isn't running lean.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

AIS delete finally done!! Sure is tight doing it without removing the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161006_102706_1476283194966.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	79066  
kilroy likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 04:17 AM

How do you like going from the carbed bike to FI? Ive contemplated the move many times but Ive been in love with my current one for over 10 years and am afraid of something new.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek@visiondiesel View Post
Picked up a set of black rims and Skat Trak 21x12x8 Extreme haulers.... can't wait to mount them up on Friday!

Does anyone have any suggestions on tuning in the Vortex perfectly for the oregon coast?

For a big 3 bike......check that your tps is set correctly then start with MAP 9, L7, M7, H2 which came from Fox250r's R dynoed with big three at OCP.....If you look around he has a YouTube video of it.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 PM

Welcome
kilroy likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzonda87 View Post
How do you like going from the carbed bike to FI? Ive contemplated the move many times but Ive been in love with my current one for over 10 years and am afraid of something new.
Well coming from a carburated bike with the approximately 52-55hp it was a bit of a let down. The 16' had significant bog and was just overall under powered compared to what I was used to. It was however very smooth and otherwise flawless. Now with the exhaust, intake, tuning, taller 8 paddle extremes, and AIS delete I hope it will be a lot closer of a comparison. I am having OCP port/polish the head over the next few weeks after this up-coming trip and at that point it should be very similar to what my old bike was power wise.
It is definitely nice having something new though, lots of perks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
For a big 3 bike......check that your tps is set correctly then start with MAP 9, L7, M7, H2 which came from Fox250r's R dynoed with big three at OCP.....If you look around he has a YouTube video of it.
The Vortex claims that during the first 2 minutes of idling it corrects the TPS settings, is this true? Or should I just follow the videos and tutorials to do it myself
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 PM

[/QUOTE]
Well coming from a carburated bike with the approximately 52-55hp it was a bit of a let down. The 16' had significant bog and was just overall under powered compared to what I was used to. It was however very smooth and otherwise flawless. Now with the exhaust, intake, tuning, taller 8 paddle extremes, and AIS delete I hope it will be a lot closer of a comparison. I am having OCP port/polish the head over the next few weeks after this up-coming trip and at that point it should be very similar to what my old bike was power wise.
It is definitely nice having something new though, lots of perks

Yeah having something new would definitely be nice. You ordered a lot of nice stuff, hopefully it will be on par power wise to what you were used once it's all set up and I'm sure it will be a fun ride
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
You have to manually set your tps.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
You have to manually set your tps.
Cool thanks!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

So couple things...

1) The 21" Extremes are amazing. The 8 paddle was just exactly what I needed and it works awesome at the Oregon Dunes.

2) The TPS did not need any adjustment at all. I started the bike with the Vortex installed and let it idle for 2 full minutes like the manual says to, I don't know if that adjusts for it or not but I went to manually check it and it was perfectly within spec.

3) The bike is now at OCP for some head porting and a cam swap. It was very impressive how well it ran after I got done with the big 3 and I liked it a lot, hoping to make a maximum amount of power on standard pump gas without any reliability concerns or having to run race gas. Jeff will dyno tune it once its finished to maximize everything, excited to see the results!

I will probably have them do a 2-3" over swing arm while it is there as well.
06yfz, kilroy and diypunx like this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Police Patrol

Garage
Post pics when it is all done!

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:16 PM
The BOSS

Welcome! Always good to see another fellow Oregon rider. You'll be happy once Jeff's done with that thing, he is the man to see for 4 stroke work here in Oregon!
diypunx likes this.

Quote:
Askhole - A person who constantly asks for advice yet always does the opposite of what you tell them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page