Can Anybody Help Me Install My Pro Armor Kill Switch On My R? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys, i need help and instructions/pics for how to install my Pro Armor Pro Series Kill Switch onto my new 2009 YFZ 450R. It is WAY different than the older 04-08 YFZ's are otherwise i would have this thing on by now.

I have been trying to figure this out for the last week or so and havent had any luck on other forums with instructions because noone will post in my threads and give me pics to how to do it. I have a WORCS race coming up in a 2 or 3 weeks and need this installed to race. My 2009 YFZ 450R had to sit the race out for round one beause i did not have it installed..
So if anybody could help me with this and post instructions and/or pics then it would help me out so much! I just cannot figure it out!
Thanks!

P.S. i have tried searching and still found no luck yet..
Thanks again!
-DASA Full Exhaust
-Premium 91 Octane
-Mobil1 10W-40 Full Synthetic (Questions or Comments? PM me!)
YFZ_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it's the Normaly open style..............
On the left side of the motor under the throttle body, there is a white plug with a red and white wire in it. Tap into the red wire with one of you wires from the Pro-Armour, and hook the other to a good ground.

If it's the normaly closed style, hook it to your OEM kill switch wires.
Mechanic ITP & WORCS Pro #191
Daddio19@Gmail.com
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

its a pro armor pro series so i am sure it is normally open. and thanks, i might try to install it today!
Thanks for your help, and does it matter which wire goes where?
Thanks!
-DASA Full Exhaust
-Premium 91 Octane
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

You want to put the wire that comes out of the metal side of the kill switch to ground. If you hook this wire to the red wire, you could have a shocking experience. LOL.
Daddio19@Gmail.com
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

hey daddio, what killswitch do you use? I'm trying to decide which one to get, but it sounds like people are having alot of trouble with the Pro Armor
2009 YFZ450R SE- Houser -.75 a-arms w/ Cecco bracket, Fox Evol gen 2 Evols, Fox Gen 2 Podium X, CCP steering stabilizer, Pro Armor nerfs, HiPer Tech 3's, razr2's , Houser grab bar, E-sticky graphics, HMF Competition exhaust, GYTR/MSD ignition, trinity intake

2008 Raptor 250 SE- (Sold)

Sponsors: Houser, Gt Thunder, Pro Armor, ODI, ASV, Steel MX/SMX Optics, Stroker Industries, Oneal MX, EFX, Houser, MX vs. ATV: Reflex
09yfz450rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ive had the Pro Armor kill switch on all of my YFZR's now (4+) and never had a problem. Mine is even connected to the coil. Some people have had problems with that, but I never have. Just don't leave the tether disconnected for a long period of time.
younggun95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most of our Yamaha's have pingles. Two have Pro Armor's.
IMO....... The pingles "normaly closed" switch is a much better option. You wire it in, using the oem kill switch wires, and it works like Yamaha intended.
I wired one of our YFZR's with a Pro Armor, connecting it to the red wire down by the sprocket, just like the GTYR kill switch.

I've lost count on how many blown coils (on YFZR's) I have seen from people hooking the kill switch to the coil wire. What most people don't realize, is that the key switch does not turn off all the power to the circut, so you have to be very careful what you add, and where.
Daddio19@Gmail.com
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

well i got it installed a few weeks ago... works great, but if i do it the way that daddio said, will i burn out coil if i turn it off, take out the key, and leave the kill switch thing plugged in (not taken out of the switch)? and when you say coil, do you mean like spark plug, or what? haha this is a really dumb question so hang with me haha...
Thanks,

Later!
-DASA Full Exhaust
-Premium 91 Octane
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

QUOTE (YFZ_maniack @ Mar 2 2010, 07:52 PM)
Quote:
well i got it installed a few weeks ago... works great, but if i do it the way that daddio said, will i burn out coil if i turn it off, take out the key, and leave the kill switch thing plugged in (not taken out of the switch)? and when you say coil, do you mean like spark plug, or what? haha this is a really dumb question so hang with me haha...
Thanks,

Later![/b]
If you hook it to the wire down by the sprocket, it should be ok. Reed has left his key on a couple times now, with the teather pulled, and all it killed was the battery. I'm not sure if the kill switch had anything to do with the battery loosing a cell.

The "coil" that burns out, is at the oppisite end of the spark plug wire from the spark plug........ Bolted to the plastic cover, under the front of your seat by the rear brake rezzi.
Daddio19@Gmail.com
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

oh alright haha thanks!!
-DASA Full Exhaust
-Premium 91 Octane
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09yfz450rse View Post
hey daddio, what killswitch do you use? I'm trying to decide which one to get, but it sounds like people are having alot of trouble with the Pro Armor

Been looking at this for a while?
Advertisement