07 Yfz 450 Oil Level Rising - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have a 07 yfz 450se. I live in ohio, so its pretty cold here now. We had a warm snap a couple days ago, so I got my 450 out and rode for about 10 minutes. I thought that the engine sounded like it rattled louder than it ever has. I shut it down and checked the oil. the oil in the resevoir was really over filled. I have about 3 hours on a fresh oil change and i did it my self so I know its done right. I let it cool all the way down and fired it back up. let it run for 30 seconds, shut it off, waited 15 seconds and rechecked it. It was still over filled, but not as high. any ideas? I want to make sure im not going to damage anything. Its has to low of hours and its to new to rebuild this quick. Thanks. Running 15w40 spectro and it still looks new.
saamkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Might want to try a lighter weight oil. How much oil did you add after oil change? Did you change the oil filter as well or just drain the oil?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Might want to try a lighter weight oil. How much oil did you add after oil change? Did you change the oil filter as well or just drain the oil?[/b]

I changed the filter. added 1.6 qts to tank and .4qts to case.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

You likely have a build up of gunk on your oil screen at the bottom of your oil resi. This causes poor flow from the resi back to the motor. You will need to remove the outlet hose from the bottom of you tank to clean it so plan on doing another oil change at the same time cause all your oil is going to have to come out. It is a good idea to do this every few oil changes because it is like the pre filter to the oil filter and it gets all the big gunk first so it tends to clog first.
n.e.r.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to dirtplay1975 Send a message via Yahoo to dirtplay1975

you did drain both the tank and the motor when you changed the oil I hope.

1999 KTM 65SX "pit bike"
dirtplay1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
you did drain both the tank and the motor when you changed the oil I hope.[/b]
Yeah, sure did drop both plugs. this aint my first rodeo.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I too have a 07 SE and live in Michigan, so I know about the cold weather and the warm up we have had in the past three days. I have been riding my quad every Sunday for about an hour or two just to keep the engine fresh and the fuel from gelling in the carb. I have not noticed anything like what you have decribed. I run AMSOIL 10w40 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the AMSOIL filter. I change both oil and filter about every 20 hours and have never had a problem. When I first got it I did change the oil after about 10 hours and then again at the 20 hour mark. I just used the Yamahalube 10w30 with the stock Yamaha paper filter for the first two oil changes. The manual does say to use 5w30 up to 30 *F.
bajastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I too have a 07 SE and live in Michigan, so I know about the cold weather and the warm up we have had in the past three days. I have been riding my quad every Sunday for about an hour or two just to keep the engine fresh and the fuel from gelling in the carb. I have not noticed anything like what you have decribed. I run AMSOIL 10w40 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and the AMSOIL filter. I change both oil and filter about every 20 hours and have never had a problem. When I first got it I did change the oil after about 10 hours and then again at the 20 hour mark. I just used the Yamahalube 10w30 with the stock Yamaha paper filter for the first two oil changes. The manual does say to use 5w30 up to 30 *F.[/b]
Thanks for the input everyone. Im not going to worry much about it. Ill probably drain the oil and check that screen in resi tank, fill with new oil, change filter and forget about it. If she blows up, that'll be my reason to send that engine to jeff at fast!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

i think it is just condensation building from the short trips. next time run it for a while and let the water evaporate out.
t-rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

oils coming out but not going back in thats not good .check the oil line at the bottom of the oil tank it could be clogged up. if its not then run the bike and while its running crack the top bolt on the oil delivery pipe and see if oil comes out.
Advertisement