Comparing yfz450 to the 450R - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By BobPeabody67
  • 1 Post By BobPeabody67
  • 1 Post By BobPeabody67

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Comparing yfz450 to the 450R

Just Like the subject says. Is there anyone that could give their opinions on the 2? Currently have an 08' pretty built. (Houser +2 a arms,durablue axle, Elka stage 3's all the way around, port/polished top end, exhaust, intake) you name it. How would you rate comparing the older yfz similar to my upgrades to the EFI in all aspects? Let's say with just an exhaust, intake, & tune. Worth the extra money? Wish I knew somebody with one nearby to try it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
Wider from the factory, smoother power delivery....The carb quads you could stab the throttle hard and be left sitting in air....LOL....I think the R handles better.....Carb bike cheaper to mod....The R's need a Vortex....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:20 AM

R for days. Unless you refuse EFI, carb models don't compete with R's.

Funny you mention this though... there's a guy selling a 2012 carb model motor, AArms, swingarm, shocks and a seat on a local Facebook page, but he's claiming them as YFZR parts. I called him out on it nicely, and it's only gone downhill. Him and a "mechanic" are telling me that the injector is right there and I don't know what I'm talking about. There is no carb or throttle body in ANY of the pictures. The motor has the external oil reservoir, starter in the back, starter gear bulging out the side. The front shocks don't have reservoirs on them, and the rear doesn't have the adjusters like R rears do. The AArms are the short curved carb model arms. And not to mention the seat doesn't have wings like R's do. "The title says YFZR, so that's what it is". You know, standard Facebook dorks. I'm having fun with it now. Lol.
PWeeZy42 likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
Bob PM me the link I want to see this...LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

LOL!!! Wow, and don't forget the kind of guys that are selling their 04' with a slip on exhaust on Craigslist for 5k... anyway, yea I'm always curious about upgrading to the R but would wonder how much of a difference there would be compared to one like mine that's pretty decked out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce38 View Post
LOL!!! Wow, and don't forget the kind of guys that are selling their 04' with a slip on exhaust on Craigslist for 5k... anyway, yea I'm always curious about upgrading to the R but would wonder how much of a difference there would be compared to one like mine that's pretty decked out.
In all honesty, it's a huge difference. After I bought my R, I was gonna keep my 07 Carb and use that as a backup... there is no comparison between the two. So I eventually traded that for a 06 RMZ250, which I traded a few months later for a 09 YFZR. Lol.
kilroy likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
The R is better for taller riders.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Bob PM me the link I want to see this...LOL
I sent a link a while ago. Not sure if you can see it since it's a closed group. If you can't I'll take screenshots and post them. Lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
No I can't see it bummer!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
No I can't see it bummer!
https://imgur.com/gallery/JP4ff
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Go to the last picture and read up. Lol
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Police Patrol

Garage
LOL I sent him a private message explaining he differences...LOL

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
LOL I sent him a private message explaining he differences...LOL
The guy on facebook? Lol
kilroy likes this.

2016 Yamaha YFZ450R SE
2009 Yamaha YFZ450R SE
2007 Yamaha YFZ450 SE (SOLD!)
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660R SE
2003 Yamaha YZ250F
2006 Suzuki RMZ250 (SOLD!)
1993 Suzuki LT230E
2003 Polaris Trailblazer 250
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Comparing yfz450 to the 450R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce38 View Post
Just Like the subject says. Is there anyone that could give their opinions on the 2? Currently have an 08' pretty built. (Houser +2 a arms,durablue axle, Elka stage 3's all the way around, port/polished top end, exhaust, intake) you name it. How would you rate comparing the older yfz similar to my upgrades to the EFI in all aspects? Let's say with just an exhaust, intake, & tune. Worth the extra money? Wish I knew somebody with one nearby to try it out!

Where it really matters to me besides the EFI and Carb, are the measurement of these bikes. I race against a 14R with my 08 Carb and his handles a little better in the corners, which is notable in the videos I've been taking. But I've only been on my yfz for 3 race now and he's been on his for a year before. Things might even put here a little bit. The mods between our bikes are almost identical, where as he has a full gytr system, vortex, port work, and gytr high compression, carb cam. I'm sitting on a slip on, full intake, 14:1 compression, Dasa port job, stock cams. We got a chance to brag race last Saturday twice. When we crossed the line it was so close every time that we couldn't tell who won if it wasn't for the light. Gonna mod my cam this weekend to suck a little more power out of the bike now and match my bike width to his to see if it helps with my tight corner handling.
Carbs have made more power back in the day, not real sure about that anymore though.
On a note when we raced I won once he won once, it was all won on the light.

Length x Width x H
08 Carb Model - 72.4x46.1x42.9
14R Model - 70.7x48.8x41.9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Oh cool, yea that was more of a comparison that I was looking for. So have you hopped on his R and rode it? If so, how did you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page