Re-spring questions - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Re-spring questions

This pertains to my yz250 but is a general suspension question. I am re-springing my fork and shock to my weight per racetech's calculator. Right now it's harsh and bucks around. My thinking is that if I get proper springs that I will be able to use more of the suspension's valving and feel the 'bread and butter' part of the travel. Right now it feels like I'm just blowing through the good travel of the shock. So my question is that did anyone ever re-spring without a re-valve? Did it help?

Sorry this is a yfz forum and i'm asking about a dirtbike. I've asked too many noob questions on my dirtbike forum lol.

Ride it like your health insurance deductible has been met!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Most of the suspension guys I know try not to sell just springs. They do springs and valves all in one go. With the fork to change springs so much has to come out you may as well do the valving too.

Spend once cry once.

I have only ridden dirt bikes with both done. Including my 08 kx250f when I had it. It makes the elka setup on my quad feel like a one ton truck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM

I will also add I that setting the fork oil height is much easier when starting with a clean fork tube.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Buy once Cry once is usually my motto.... But I'm trying to skimp by with as little as possible on the 99 yz until I can afford a newer one. Well either way, the springs come in Monday, I'll let you guys know how it works.

Ride it like your health insurance deductible has been met!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page