YFZ Central banner

Installed Wideband today

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pbone 
#1 · (Edited)
finally got my quad all together and running today! :clap

so i installed an Innovate wideband a/f ratio setup on my yfz. I made it so it is temporary and can be removed by just cutting zip ties, unhooking from the battery, and putting a plug in the O2 bung on the header. Now i can tell what my a/f ratio is without having to dyno tune, so i can jet accordingly. Turns out, i have it spot on right now. But it is 20 deg outside so it will change once summer comes.

when i first started it (its been 5 months, fresh gas and oil change of course), it was around 10.5 with the choke on. without the choke just idling it is 11.5-12.0 so you could say that the choke makes it richer it by 1 point. idle-1/4 was 12-12.7 and then above that it was between that and 14. usually it was around 13.5-14 range. i did notice that if you press the throttle without making the squirt jet go, it would lean out to 15-16 momentarily, whereas with the squirter it would actually richen up, which is the purpose of it.

One problem i ran into was the Innovate just started showing 8.8.8. i stopped and checked the wiring, but then it restarted the heater in the sensor and came back up. don't know what the deal was, if it was too hot or just lost voltage for a second. hope it doesn't do it again.

Note to self: wear gloves when its only 20 out, i was only able to up the road a mile and back, but it was enough to test the setup. :lol

my rats nest of wiring

O2 sensor bung welded to header. not happy with the job the welder did because its a mess, but the heat sheild helps hide it somewhat. if your wondering about the blue, i forgot to wipe the header after i installed it, prob gonna re-clean it

guage mounted on the bars. used zip ties so its temporary

See less See more
#5 ·
the location i did is optimal. like stated above, condensation cant get the sensor when it is at the top, i plan on having it removed with just a regular bolt in most of the time though. you want it ~6 inches back from the head, so around the bend plus a little. too close and it will get too hot, too far away and it wont read it quite as good

#8 ·
makes total sense! after I bought mine I thought about adding one...smells rich.. and like you said makes tuning that much better..

I was talking to some guy over the weekend and he said theres a shop down in Sioux city that has a dyno that is used to tune sprint cars but can do quads too

#7 ·
I wanted to do this to my '06 when I had it, but I never got around to it. I had it tuned on the dyno at the power shop at Little Sahara, but I always wanted to run an A/F meter so I could do other mods eventually and be able to see where it needed tuning, and do it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.