Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ninja 500 YFZ

This has been a back burner project for a while now, but I am going to start working on this.
The Goal:
Build a reliable, fairly quick sport quad for $2000 or less. I know a lot of people will tell me I could have just bought a YFZ for that, but I wanted a project and this thing will be pretty much brand new when I'm done. I also work in a machine shop so that helps keep a lot of the build costs down as well.

I was practically given the engine, carbs and all of the ignition from a Kawasaki Ninja 500. The next thing to do was to choose a chassis for this build. I chose the YFZ 450 because it is modern technology, but has been out long enough you can find good deals on parts. This has mostly been an ebay build. I picked up the frame for $100 and started chopping things out of it. The bottom tubes will need to be clearanced but the top tubes should be able to remain stock. This way the body work and fuel tank will all bolt up.

I am still sourcing parts that I need, but have started the frame gusseting, and will be modifying the bottom frame tubes here soon. I have the swing arm and subframe painted and ready to go, and will be rebuilding A arms soon as well. Here are a few teaser pics.

IMG_0821 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_0824 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_0822 by cnckart, on Flickr
cnckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are a few pics of my rebuilt/ painted swing arm, and my anodized Ricochet swing arm skid.

IMG_0843 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_0842 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_0840 by cnckart, on Flickr
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks like a bad azz project. On question, you do plan on raising the engine so the oil pan does not hang below the lower frame rails right? You Will smash that right off if you don't and do any kind of off road riding.
kneedrager428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply! The engine will actually be lowered about 3/8 of an inch. The bottom frame rails are going to be cut out. I am going to make new bottom frame rails that will come down around the pan. It will cause a loss of ground clearance but not too much. It should be about the same as the linkage clearance wise. I should be making some good progress in the next few weeks.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gusseting is almost complete.

I should be removing and installing new bottom tubes next week.

IMG_0860 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_0859 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_0858 by cnckart, on Flickr
Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

only a 500? jk thats gonna b awesome when its done
Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its cool your fabbing this all up, but a 500cc quad will be a turd... a mildly built yfz450 would beat it....
coueshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

who cares how slow it is. its gonna sound like a bike not a quad
Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJVeld View Post
who cares how slow it is. its gonna sound like a bike not a quad
Thats cool? :|

not to mention it wont sound like your typical street bike... its a ninja 500
Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

i just think its cool cuz who else will have one. gotta give props for building own quad with diff motor
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coueshunter View Post
Its cool your fabbing this all up, but a 500cc quad will be a turd... a mildly built yfz450 would beat it....
Yeah man because you know imagination and fabbing skills suck.... Why would you build something different??
I guess by your reasoning, this conversion sucks too? http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/119-...ld-thread.html

Your a Douche stay out of this guys thread.

A ninja 500 has mid 50s horse stock. With a 2mm bore and ZX10 pistons it becomes a 600 with about 70 horse.
kneedrager428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coueshunter View Post
it's ok kneedragger, you're right he is a bit of a jerk, he's already been banned from the org, so i'm sure his time here will be short lived, considering the only reason he is here is because he got banned from his home forum (he does not ride a yamaha)

If this is the old 500 which it looks to be, it's at 50ish i believe......

the power won't be thumper power like a 450 motor, but it'll have the power.

I commend the OP for this project, i like the ingenuity and am anxious to see the finish product. It will be faster than some people think.

Last edited by ridingred; 09-02-2012 at 08:04 AM.
ridingred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrager428 View Post
Yeah man because you know imagination and fabbing skills suck.... Why would you build something different??
I guess by your reasoning, this conversion sucks too? http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/119-...ld-thread.html

Your a Douche stay out of this guys thread.

A ninja 500 has mid 50s horse stock. With a 2mm bore and ZX10 pistons it becomes a 600 with about 70 horse.
Umm, no. that motor swap is putting a motor that makes 100HP fairly easy into a chassis that in my opinion BLOWS the raptor chassis away. Hated my raptor chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingred View Post
it's ok kneedragger, you're right he is a bit of a jerk, he's already been banned from the org, so i'm sure his time here will be short lived, considering the only reason he is here is because he got banned from his home forum (he does not ride a yamaha)

If this is the old 500 which it looks to be, it's at 50ish i believe......

the power won't be thumper power like a 450 motor, but it'll have the power.

I commend the OP for this project, i like the ingenuity and am anxious to see the finish product. It will be faster than some people think.
do you want to get on banned from forums ryan? way to clutter up this thread too.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

always like watching custom built hybrids, always fun to see what combos ppl do, good luck with the build man.
N1CK N1TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind replies guys. The Ninja 500 is making about 56 HP in stock form, and about 30 ft/lb of torque. This isn't going to be a "turd". Like I said in the first post, the engine, carbs, wiring etc. were practically given to me. I'm not a dune rider so I don't need 130 HP. I ride trails and I think this will do the job nicely. I know this isn't going to be the fastest thing on the trail, and I'm ok with that. But with 50 something horses, and a close ratio 6 speed I think this is going to be a fun bike when it's done.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Looks like a fun build and that you are going to do it right.
..i am curious of the weight difference between the two motors? Mid 50s will be plenty for trails....good luck with build
Old 09-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notw View Post
Looks like a fun build and that you are going to do it right.
..i am curious of the weight difference between the two motors? Mid 50s will be plenty for trails....good luck with build
The motor out of my old race bike was 120 lbs give or take a couple
Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default You beat me to it

I have always wanted to put that motor in a quad since FST did it for Kawie in 2000 with the Mojave frame. I also have a YFZ frame sitting here waiting on some motor when I get time and have thought about the Ninja 500 motor.

Question is do you plan to tuck the pipes in around the motor like on the 450 or run them under the belly like others do with street bike conversions? Here is a link you can check out that has Kawie's 500 and a KX250 conversion.

http://fueltechgraphics.com/images/E...KX250Quads.pdf
MrTechEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechEd View Post
I have always wanted to put that motor in a quad since FST did it for Kawie in 2000 with the Mojave frame. I also have a YFZ frame sitting here waiting on some motor when I get time and have thought about the Ninja 500 motor.

Question is do you plan to tuck the pipes in around the motor like on the 450 or run them under the belly like others do with street bike conversions? Here is a link you can check out that has Kawie's 500 and a KX250 conversion.

http://fueltechgraphics.com/images/E...KX250Quads.pdf
Thanks for the link! It's good to know that this has kind of been done before. The exhaust is going to go around the engine like the 450 does. That's probably going to be the hardest part. If this was just going to be a duner I would run it underneath, but it's going to be a trail machine and is getting skid plates too, so we'll see how the exhaust comes together. I just got my 4130 tube, so next week I'll cut out and reconstruct the lower tubes on the frame. Then it's time to start bolting this beast together.

Last edited by cnckart; 09-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have another article that DirtWheels did that had more info yet on the quad but I canít find it. You may want to check out kawieriders.com in the Mojave/Lakota section some others have did it and may have that article. Also ex-500.com is a good reference for your motor. Also if someone thinks your motor is not fast enough you could check out the link below. Also youtube has a ton of people that have done this to Euro quads and a couple Rappys.

ENGINE DYNAMICS

I actually just registered for this site today so I could post. I have browsed here for years but no post and Iíll be watch this one. Iíll see how it goes and I may do this after I get my Banshee done. Anyway below is a pic of my YFZ roller with my old Tecate plastic. That motor would have a nice home in there, my other options are KX250 or Ninja 650R. I like the 650R twin to since it has efi and the engine is smaller. But on the 650, the oil pan is deeper and I think the sprocket sits to high looking at it.

MrTechEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement