How Do You Know If Your Cdi Is Bad? - Yamaha YFZ450 Forum : YFZ450, YFZ450R, YFZ450X Forums
  Yamaha YFZ450

Suzuki Z400

Suzuki LT-R450

Kawasaki KFX450

ATV Videos

Can-Am DS450

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2004, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Will the bike start at all?
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

If the electronics fail then no, it won't start. Not really that likely, these things are solid and meant to be beaten. But they are electronics out in the elements. Easiest way to tell is test with a friends.
Barely Legal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to SLAMMER776 Send a message via Yahoo to SLAMMER776

if you have an aftermarket one it can fail. my friend has an advantage rev box and went through five in two weeks and i have went through one.
04 yfz450, houser lt +2.5, houser lt swingarm round housing, lonestar 2+2 axle, elka quads front, elka dual rear, beadlock rear kenda klaws tires, douglas reds front kenda klaws tire, gytr stainless full pipe, pro flow kit, cam mod, pro taper bars, pro design kill switch, gytr nerfs, advantage rev box, air box lid off, gt thunder billet decomp plug, ac racing front bumper,
denton steering stabalizer, esr motor mounts (broken)
SLAMMER776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have an SRP rev box...how did you know when it failed? My bike starts and idles fine but seems to cut out in certain spots.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

it wouldnt run at all so i stuck my stocker in and it ran great. if it cuts out at differant rpms check your jetting and also check your grounds and motor mounts mine ran really crappy and it was because my mounts were bad and it wasnt getting a good ground
04 yfz450, houser lt +2.5, houser lt swingarm round housing, lonestar 2+2 axle, elka quads front, elka dual rear, beadlock rear kenda klaws tires, douglas reds front kenda klaws tire, gytr stainless full pipe, pro flow kit, cam mod, pro taper bars, pro design kill switch, gytr nerfs, advantage rev box, air box lid off, gt thunder billet decomp plug, ac racing front bumper,
Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SLAMMER776@Sep 13 2004, 06:20 AM
if it cuts out at differant rpms check your jetting
I don't understand why you think cutting out has something to do with jetting.

Is this becomming something people just say, or is there some real merit behind the advice?

You should check the air pressure in your tires too.

<span style="color:blue">2004 YFZ450
RPyfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill Baker

9 times out of 10, when the CDI Box goes bad it WON'T RUN. If it is running crumby, chances are it's something else then.
A CDI won't make it run crappy, it will either work or not work.
HMF Pipe
Hi-Rev CDI
EHS Airbox Lid
PRM Skids,Bumper & Bar

Bill Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RPyfz450@Sep 13 2004, 09:39 AM

I don't understand why you think cutting out has something to do with jetting.

Is this becomming something people just say, or is there some real merit behind the advice?

You should check the air pressure in your tires too.
[/quote]
Ok i shouldnt have said jetting 9 out of 10 times it wont be jetting but if there is some dirt or other junk in the carb it can cause it not to run right. it is most likely a bad ground or some other wiring problem. a cdi like bill said it will eithwer work or it wont.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gtilley45 Send a message via Yahoo to gtilley45

Quote:
Originally posted by SLAMMER776@Sep 13 2004, 06:20 AM
it wouldnt run at all so i stuck my stocker in and it ran great.
:stupid Same thing happened to me yesterday. Saturday night I put on a Curtis Sparks CDI. Sunday at the track, it ran fine for a while then all of a sudden, it started sputtering and then just died and wouldn't crank back. A guy I met at the track was nice enough to tow me back to the truck. I figured since the CDI was all that I changed since the last time I rode, that might be the problem. Plus, it was the only spare part I had with me. So I put the stock CDI back on and it ran like a champ. Do any of you know if these have warranty? I'm gonna call the guy I got it from and ask him about it, but I'm curious to hear more about this.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to YFZ_53

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Baker@Sep 13 2004, 03:07 PM
A CDI won't make it run crappy, it will either work or not work.
I disagree 110%. My stock CDI went bad and we didn't know it. Well it was running like chit so I figured it might be the jetting (messed with that and nothing). Then I thought the stator may have failed so I put a new one in (that wasnt it). The last thing it could be except for wiring was the CDI. So, I order a Vortex, sling it on, and it ran perfect (with what my jetting was to begin with). So, even if you're CDI is gone, it will run, but it will run like chit. And BTW, there isn't a way to check to see if a CDI is good that I know of, except to borrow a friends and see if that fixes it.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

has anybody tryed the big gun cdi box, I havent heard much on here about them , just wondering about how good they are. I have the pipe figure I go ahead and get the big bun cdi too sometime.
russellyamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill Baker

Quote:
Originally posted by YFZ_53+Sep 13 2004, 08:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YFZ_53 @ Sep 13 2004, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bill Baker@Sep 13 2004, 03:07 PM
A CDI* won't make it run crappy, it will either work or not work.
I disagree 110%. My stock CDI went bad and we didn't know it. [/b][/quote]
I'll give you that 53...BUT...when you read gtilley45's post, he said it started to run bad and then wouldn't crank up at all...that's a classic cdi failure. It's like a nuclear meltdown inside that black box...going, going , gone. It happens real quick. I SHOULD NOT have said that it won't make it run crappy...that's exactly what it does before it stops working comepletely. That's what I get for not proof reading my posts...sorry!
HMF Pipe
Hi-Rev CDI
EHS Airbox Lid
PRM Skids,Bumper & Bar

Bill Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have had a big gun for a year and it just failed on me yesterday... its sounds like your hitting the rev limiter after 1/4 throttle
Dlettie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

you do realize this thread was from 2004 right?
Probably not. Nevermind.

Threads this old should be archived and locked to new replies.
dirtypixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default turns over but no fire to the coil

I have a issue with my 04 yfz 450. It will not start but turns over. I was riding around track one day and it just all a sudden cut off. Im thinking its the cdi box, but not sure. NEED SOME HELP!
yfz450rida32! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

well heres the whole story. I rolled it real bad and it fired up but when you hit the throttle it died. so i assumed it was the tps and did the trick of wiring together. so i did and it ran fine for maybe a week and then that one day it just quit on me. I thought i hit the kill switch cause thats what it sounded like but i didnt. so now it turns over but no fire to the coil
yfz450rida32! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

did you ever figure it out
hr stage 3 cams
hr stroker crank pluss 1 mm
scorpion slip on pipe
currently dead
now running a stock 05 yfz 450 with full fmf exhaust
wingnutmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mine Starts and runs for not even 5 minutes and when im on the throttle it cuts out and eventually shuts itself off and when i got to start it it will idle but as soon as i give it gas it backfires and shuts off. called the dealership they think its electical is all they said. Ive been reading alot of problems like this is from the cdi going bad any ideas?
cmong11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've had a CDI catch fire on the track. It was a dynateck. They covered it no problem. I find if you use a kill teather to shut the bike off they seem to fail more often. To hard on them. I thought maybe it was wired wrong but I checked my other 2 bikes and there wired the same. It always seems to be the one bike that fails after the theater has been pulled a lot. Like @ tec or to many crashes. Now we only pull for tec. And use the key to shut down
Tye 6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

check your ground wires, they can become loose and the connections can become dirty. i had an issue with my dyna not working properly. found a bad ground by the battery
Fully gussetted frame, 06 yfz450, wr crank and 12.5:1 piston, nmotion ti full system, fci intake, cam mod, dyna ignition with nmotion curves, 07 oil mod, kick start, 15t front sprocket, 36t rear sprocket, Ims/Roll pegs heel gaurds and nerfs, blingstar victory bumper, flexx bars, xxx anti-vibe stem, 175/50 jetting, hiper beadlocks, carb spring mod, starter removed, gutted harness, race cut plastics, asr+2 a-arms
roostnureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement